MANTRA

"If I knew all the words, I would write myself out of here." MRAZ

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Flirt vs. Caress

Flirt

Verb: Behave as though attracted to or trying to attract someone, but without serious intentions

Caress

Verb: Touch or stroke gently or lovingly

------

I used the word "flirt" in our conversation tonight. In relation to how much we like to flirt with each other; and how there seems to exist between us a flirty attraction that needs satisfaction of a sort.

I left the conversation disappointed in my choice of words.
Even without pulling the definition, flirt is a word that lacks substance when it leaves my mouth. It's tasteless. It belittles the interaction we share.

There is no assumed attraction between us, no attempt at attraction.
Attraction is and binds us together; it is in no way presumed. It has weaved an intricate tie between our souls. We meet genuinely interested and concerned for each other. Our meeting offers a sacred-like tryst; and it doesn't matter than no one else understands, that everyone who observes is confused.

And it's sacrilegious to state that our intentions are anything but serious. We are serious about each other in our own way. We deliberately acknowledge each other's value and worth.

As I was beating myself up over our conversation and my very poor choice of words...it came to me that I would have used a different word, if I could have the opportunity to rewind our discussion: caress.

I don't want to say that I flirt with you; I want to say that I caress your heart.

In those moments that we meet, when attraction brings us together, I bliss-out on our mutual respect. I desire to hear your perspectives and maybe have the chance to share them. I long to feel the pulse and rhythm of your heartbeat, your breath. I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that I touch your heart and that you touch mine; and that sometimes, we have a hard time letting go.

I'd like to be clear regarding my action towards you. I caress you; I do not flirt.

No comments: