MANTRA

"If I knew all the words, I would write myself out of here." MRAZ

Sunday, November 23, 2008

wonderland

"We'll face unafraid all the plans that we've made..."

I'll admit. I've been listening to Christmas music early this year. There's so much good out there, it is hard to squeeze it all into one month. Christmas music, truly, is appropriate all year round- at least, most of us could do with the message year 'round- but you've got to be pretty hard core to listen to Jingle Bell Rock in July.

Me? I started mid-November. I'd label myself "eager," but not hard core.

One song in particular has impacted me in a whole new way this year. And I am approaching it as if I've never heard it before. Why? Because of the quotation above: "we'll face unafraid all the plans that we've made."

I think that's a powerful statement.
And for some reason, I've never heard it before. I mean, I have. We all have. Winter Wonderland is a pretty basic carol; one I would say that most of us are familiar with. But I've not noticed it the way I do this year.

It is a statement that radiates confidence-
there will be fearless confrontation of life.
It's fierce, proactive.
That's the motto I want for my life.
That's a motto I want to be worthy of-

Dare I say that's the motto of our President-elect?
(Whether you like him or not, I think we all can agree that he plans to confront change for America; and he's pretty confident about that.)

It is a motto appropriate for those who walk in faith: plans are made and you'll face them, but unafraid; because there is a Higher Power in charge of fate.

Imagine if that were all our motto: people facing life, unafraid.
Our world would become a wonderland.

And if I can master it, if I can embrace a fearless confrontation of life- that is what I would be living in, a wonderland.

1 comment:

Susanne said...

What a great thought. I am really working on this with God's help. I struggle with fear and worry, but God is so faithful. I am being challenged, but trying to put into practice this faith in God instead of doing what comes naturally -- FEAR!

And you know what? Right now I have peace. Everything is NOT all right in my life, but God has given me peace just as He promised. I am putting my faith in Him and He is faithful.

I have been practicing this:

Philippians 4:

6Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.