MANTRA

"If I knew all the words, I would write myself out of here." MRAZ

Monday, September 29, 2008

am and/or am becoming

"And there I am, in a kind of mask, voicing the voice of an aspect of what I've become, or an aspect of what I could well become, or an aspect of what I've become and not become aware of yet."
Robert Downey Jr.

I was in a conversation with a pleasant stranger this weekend at a wedding. She looked at me and said, "You are amazing! You are one of those people who are comfortable in your own skin."

"Really?! You think so?"

"Oh, yes!" she confirmed emphatically.

I turned to my husband who was also a part of this conversation with shock on my face, because he chimed in his agreement. All I could think was are you guys kidding me?

"Yes," he said. "She is a person who is comfortable in her own skin. And when she isn't, she plays it off well."

Wow. He really thought that about me? Me? A person comfortable in her own skin! Now, don't get me wrong- that is exactly the kind of person I want to be: comfortable with myself and confident in my abilities. I find these qualities in others so alluring, attractive, desirable. And even though, it is something I have wanted to obtain; I didn't realize that on some level, I had already attained it.

I reflected on their comments. Yes, maybe not in all areas, but in some- I am that person. Hmm...


And there I am, in a kind of mask- an aspect of what I've become and slowly becoming aware of...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's so funny how surprised you are about a quality we have seen in you forever.

caramama said...

I totally agree with this! From the conversations I've had with you, you really do seem very comfortable with yourself! I also think that because you seem comfortable with yourself, you make others comfortable--you put them at ease. And I really enjoyed talking with you.