MANTRA

"If I knew all the words, I would write myself out of here." MRAZ

Monday, September 29, 2008

LUCUBRIOUS

Urban Dictionary:

1. lucubrious: to be calm, cool, flowing; relaxed in an upbeat atmosphere.
2. lucubrate: to work hard, late into the night
3. lucubration: to study hard at night and also the product of such study; work produced at night

Dictionary.com:

1. lucubrate: A. to work, write, or study, esp. at night B. to write learnedly
from the Latin, lucubrare, which means to work at night by lamplight
2. lucubrates: to write in a scholarly fashion; produce scholarship

I promise that there are people out there who use this word. Just google it!
But there is one, in particular, who sold it to me with a shiny red bow: Jason Mraz!

Go make your next choice be your best choice
And if you're looking for a boy with a voice,
well baby I'm single
Are you in the mood for some dude,
are you in the mood to be subdued
Or would you rather just mingle?
Let's get set then, to go then
and let us jet set, we'll be like the jetsons
You can be Jane my wife. Should I marry Jane tonight?

I would, if I could.
I'd do oh anything spontaneously.

Or we can keep chilling like ice cream filling
We can be cool in the gang if you'd rather hang
Ain't no thing. I can be lucubrious with you.
I got no ifs ands ors no wits or whats about it
But this place is getting crowded
and my house is two blocks away
Or maybe closer
-excerpt from I'll Do Anything by Jason Mraz

For those of you who don't know (and consider yourselves blessed b/c I talk about him all the time), I am going through a serious Jason Mraz phase. And yet, I don't think it is really a phase. I think this is going to be a life-long love affair (similar to the one I have with Dave Matthews Band).

There is something infinitely groovy about his music! And he is a brilliant, brilliant writer. I envy his ability to word play. I strive to achieve his greatness. I have been so awed by his vocabulary that I have actually looked words up- yes, I know that I'm a nerd. That is how I stumbled upon lucubrious and realized that it was my word. In some way, my identity is tied with this word. That's why I chose it for my latest tattoo.

1 comment:

caramama said...

I love well-written songs. Anyone who can use words I have to look up in the dictionary in a song that also has great music to it just makes me fall in love with them and their music! I can see I'm going to have to listen to more Jason Mraz!